Re: [Evolution-hackers] Seeming lack of timely bug or feature request "fixes"...why?

Hello,

You are attempting to draw conclusions from the number of open bugs without considering all bugs. Please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

If you have a sincere desire to help, produce good quality code to fix a problem. We can never have enough people volunteering to be part of the solution.

Jon

Carlos Gonzalez wrote:
I was reading through a bunch of the bug and feature requests entered
into the Ximian bug database and was struck by how so many of them have
not had any resolution for years while being requested over and over
again.
Is this because there are not enough people volunteering to fix bugs
and/or add features?
Is this because of a philosophical lack of willingness to include some
of the feature requests (many of whom seem quite reasonable)? A little of both or maybe something else?
I am just curious given that I am looking at starting to make some
changes in Evolution for my own use and that of my business clients and
want to work as much as possible with Evolution developers as opposed to
independent of them.  But I don't want to even bother helping out if
there is some sort of philosophical mind set against adding new features
or some such.  In the end I may just have to incorporate the features
that I and perhaps some of my clients might want in my own little "fork"
rather than waiting for something to make it into the main tree, so this
issue may be mute but I am mainly just curious as to why it seems to
take so long to act on a bug or a feature request.
I suppose I should also take into account that I was only viewing those
things that were not resolved and that the context of seeing this
against the great numbers that may have been resolved already is
missing. Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks. Carlos