Re: [Evolution-hackers] EDS 1.2 - Migration of the address book

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 11:32 +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I noticed a potential problem with the new Evolution-Data-Server 1.2.
> Some GnomeMeeting users do not use Evolution as mail client, but they
> are still "forced" to use Evolution-Data-Server as backend in order to
> store GnomeMeeting contacts in the address book.

> When upgrading to Evolution-Data-Server 1.2, things do not work anymore
> until they launch the new Evolution that will do an "address book
> migration".

Things don't work how? The backend hasn't changed for the address book,
and the gconf keys haven't changed in format or anything either. I think
this is just a bug, and not necessarily a need to run migration.

> That will give a problem to all users who are not using Evolution.
>
> One solution would be to copy the code to migrate the address book from
> Evolution to GnomeMeeting, but it doesn't seem to be a good solution as
> it would require to do it for all GNOME applications who are using
> Evolution-Data-Server.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to move that "Address Book" migration code to
> Evolution-Data-Server itself? If not, what other clean solution do you
> propose?

We do need to move migration into e-d-s itself. Perhaps we should do
that for 2.3. I don't think we have time to do it for 2.2, given that we
are now string/ui/feature frozen for Gnome 2.10.

-- dobey