Re: [Evolution-hackers] Marcus Bains Line in calendar

On Apr 4, 2005 11:25 AM, Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:
> I'd prefer not to have a key for each part of the line, really. It's
> just the gap and color difference that bug me. It stands out too much
> from the rest of the application, which is not what we want really.

I think having the line in the day-view limited to the current day is
important, for people that don't know what day it is most of the time.
 The line in the time bar I added just to make it easier to find the
time from the line.  I don't think it's critical, but it is useful.

What if the line in the time bar were drawn in the same colors as the
N-minute tick lines, to keep it from standing out so much, but still
there for reference:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/people/thouis/mbnew.png

Without the time-bar line

http://people.csail.mit.edu/people/thouis/mbnew-b.png

This isn't a perfect test, as it's pretty easy to track the time from
the line when it's Monday.  On Fridays, tracking the line's position
back to the time bar is trickier.

> We
> want something to show that the current time is approximately "here",
> rather than trying to get the user to use the calendar as a clock app.

I partially disagree.  I think the primary goal is to remove the need
for the user to refer to a clock app every time they glance at the
calendar.  This is the purpose of the day-view line, and why it should
be located easily.

Adding a line to the time-bar allows the user to quickly figure out
roughly what time it is, rather than just them knowing the approximate
number of minutes until their next event.   It's certainly secondary.
  My only reason for keeping it was that I found myself tracking over
from the Marcus Bains line to find the time, rather than looking at
the clock, and decided to make that operation easier.

What are your thoughts on adding a time display to the line (as in
Korganizer)?  I think it's overkill, and I expect you agree, but want
to make sure (and get other people's opinions).

Ray Jones