[Evolution-hackers] Re: [Evolution] Corrupted mail send to too many correspondant

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 19:04 +0200, Olivier DUGEON wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I didn't found any useful information in the mailing list, nor
> in bugzilla and with google, I post my message in the 3 mailing list
> regarding evolution.
>
> My configuration is :
>
> - Mandrake 10.0
> - evolution 1.4.6-1mdk
> - ximian-connector 1.4.6 or 1.4.7
>
> My account is setup to used my corporate mail server (Exchange 2000
> and now Exchange 2003).
>
> My problem comes with attachement and long list of correspondant (say
> > 20). If I put me in copy, the e-mail I sent was correctly handle by
> evolution. But, the mail was completely broken for my correspondant
> who used outlook. The message and the attachement were not interpreted
> correctly and saw as plain text (i.e. you see the base64 encoding of
> the attachement in the body of the e-mail).

sounds like an Exchange bug or an Outlook bug.

when Evolution encodes the email in base64, it sets the Content-
Transfer-Encoding: header to a value of "base64". You'll see this if you
look at the message sources in your Sent folder.

Outlook/Exchange/whatever is supposed to respect that header. apparently
one of them is not.

> Last week, I get another error, but related to the same problem : too
> much correspondant. A corporate MTA send me back my e-mail claiming
> that header line was too long ( > 1024 char.). I understand that if I
> send send e-mail to too many correspondant the "To:" or "Cc:" field
> will be greater than 1024 characters.
>
> I think is mostly a problem of the mailer composer rather than a
> connector since I experienced the same problem with IMAP connection to
> the same Exchange server.
>
> - Is somebody have experienced the same problem ?

I have never heard of anyone having any such problem

> - Is it a well-know bug of evolution or is it my configuration ?

might be an exchange bug? might be an evo bug. not enough info to know
for sure.

can you get us a copy of the raw message sources (as extracted from the
Sent folder's mbox file)? then we can check that the lines were folded
appropriately. if they weren't, then it's an evo bug. else it's an
Exchange bug.

> - Is there something in the RFC which tell that the "To:" or "Cc:"
> field couldn't be larger than 1024 char. ?

there is no such restriction in any of the mail rfcs. headers can be of
any length so long as they are folder appropriately (such that no single
*line* is longer than 1000 bytes)

> - Is it possible to hack evolution (the mailer part) to split the
> "To:" or "Cc:" line when it will be larger than 1024 char. ?

feel free to hack it any way you want.

anything's possible, but we won't be doing this.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.