Re: [Evolution-hackers] SA rules adjustment

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 17:53, Radek Doulík wrote:

> > > I am not sure about this. It may cause trouble in case the bayes db is
> > > already poisoned. Otherwise it should work OK.
> >
> > I'm not sure, if I understand you.
> >
> > Excluding this headers means, their existence and the values will
> > neither be a sign for SPAM nor HAM. Which this headers definitely are
> > ATM, being abused by SPAMmers.
>
> yeah, so it's pretty good sign of spam right now and bayes filter will
> profit from it.

I wouldn't say this is sign of spam. Should be considered as neutral in
the worst case.

<sarcasm> If you really think, this is sign of spam, then why adjusting
the score to 0 instead of a positive value? </sarcasm>

The hackers and users on the SA mailing list agreed, this must be set to
a value <=0. Probably most of them adjusted to 0, some uses nagative
values like -1. It was strongly advised to *not* use a positive value,
as this must not be a sign for spam.

> when it eventually become HAMs again, the filter will
> learn that from user (or from us when we turn HABEAS score on again) and
> this header will be neutral in bayes db.

No. It will be punished with a bad Bayes score until the user got at
least as much HAM with the Habeas headers as he already got as SPAM.

Even worse: Those mails will *NOT* be auto-learned as HAM, as they have
a bad Bayes score.

However, I will have to check if those faked Habeas headers are still
used in the wild.

...guenther