[Evolution-hackers] running my own build

Friends, I need a bit of help.  I already have Evo 1.4.5 installed in
/usr (prefix) and it is very happy  (I'm running Linux from the Gentoo
distro).  In order to work on a small bug that's been annoying me
(clearing the followup-status doesn't work), I downloaded the source of
1.4.5 from CVS and built it in my own account (without all the
pilot-link bells and assorted whistles).  When I try to run my modified
version from .../shell/.libs/evolution, it still appears to be loading
libevolution-mail.so from /usr/lib/evolution/1.4/components/ instead of
from my own .../mail/.libs/.

I modified bonobo-activation-config.xml with the following two lines:

> 	<item>/home/lsiden/projects/evolution/servers</item>
> 	<item>/usr/lib/bonobo/servers</item>

Then I copied /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_Evolution_Mail.server to the
first servers directory listed above and modified the following:

>   <oaf_server iid="OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Mail_ControlFactory"
> 	      type="shlib"
> 	      location="/home/lsiden/projects/src/mail/.libs/libevolution-mail.so">

Still seems to be running the old libevolution-mail.so under /usr/...
Can anyone help me figure out how to get my own build to load?