[Evolution-hackers] configure problem solved

Hello,

A hint from Sarfraaz Ahmed about config.log hint and a careful look at
my distro's srpm has helped me solve the problem. It was in libdb's use
of pthreads.

If anybody is interested, the details are below.

I have found the problem in config.log. Here it is.

===

configure:11924: result: 3.1.17
configure:11927: checking for db3 library name
configure:11965: gcc -o conftest -march=athlon
-I/home/misha/qqq/include   conftest.c  /home/misha/qqq/lib/libdb.a >&5
/home/misha/qqq/lib/libdb.a(mut_pthread.o)(.text+0xc1): In function
`__db_pthread_mutex_init':
: undefined reference to `pthread_condattr_setpshared'
/home/misha/qqq/lib/libdb.a(mut_pthread.o)(.text+0xdb): In function
`__db_pthread_mutex_init':
: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_init'
/home/misha/qqq/lib/libdb.a(mut_pthread.o)(.text+0xf7): In function
`__db_pthread_mutex_init':
: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_setpshared'
/home/misha/qqq/lib/libdb.a(mut_pthread.o)(.text+0x12c): In function
`__db_pthread_mutex_init':
: undefined reference to `pthread_mutexattr_destroy'
/home/misha/qqq/lib/libdb.a(mut_pthread.o)(.text+0x1d5): In function
`__db_pthread_mutex_lock':
: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:11968: $? = 1

===

This seems to be a problem within libdb (some pthreads-related stuff).
The distro's source RPM has a patch to make libdb NOT use pthreads. On
applying the patch, the problem went out the window.

Well, this was probably my mistake in not applying the distro patches. I
wanted to make my future hack (bugfix) to be usable outside the distro.
But this was a lesson; next time, if something fails to build, I'll try
distro patches first, and the list only if that fails. I will also learn
to look in config.log when applicable :)

Thanks for the lesson in "unix" hacking. And yes I am a dummy. But I
still hope to try and catch that bug.

Again: THANKS! Especially to Sarfraaz Ahmed and Not Zed.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik