Re: [Evolution-hackers] Non-UTF8 encodings in LDAP data

in the mailer we have a similar problem, we basically do:
 - try the charset if supplied (dunno if you can specify charsets in
ldap)
 - if the user has a viewing charset set, use that
 - fallback to the locale charset, if available.

the locale charset should do most of the time, but you proably need a
manual override too.