Re: [Evolution-hackers] User directory layout for 2.0

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 03:30, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>  I'd propose to move all 'cache' directories to the  separate directory, e.g.
>     ~/.evolution/caches/{mail,calendar,addressbook}
>
>  This will make backups and account cloning and other stuff A LOT easier
> (since nobody will have to write scripts to not backup 'cache' suibdirs inside
> ~/.evolution).

Hmm is it really that much of a difference?  One could e.g. just do tar
--exclude=cache or something.

I like the fact that all the information for the specific components in
a component-specific directory since it goes with the general direction
that we are taking, of decoupling components and making them
independent.

>  Following paranoid route, it would be very nice to move all 'config'
> directories or files to a separate directory as well to - so that admin
> could make it a simlink to a readonly directory, so that users won't be able
> to change configuration of basic things.

For this kind of stuff, we are going to have a GNOME-wide way to lock
down GConf settings at some point.

The stuff that in config/ doesn't need locking anyways, since it's just
things like your mail folder sorting criteria, which nodes in the tree
widgets are supposed to be open etc.

-- Ettore