Re: [Evolution-hackers] IDN support for evolution

Hi Michael,

The related RFCs are RFC3490, 3491, 3492, and 3454. The entire email
address internationalization is being also standardized at IETF as
Internationalized Mailing Address for Applciations (IMAA) and it uses
the IDNA at the hostname and domain name portion of the address. More details
are being worked out for the IMAA; the initial focus on Evolution IDN support
should on the hostnames not on the email address by the way.

Regards,
Suresh

>Hi Suresh,
>
>Sounds interesting - obviously this work must be targetted on the
>development branch.
>
>Do you have any pointers to RFC's and other documentation?
>
>Does this also cover email addressing?
>
>Cheers,
> Michael
>
>On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 09:00, Suresh Chandrasekharan wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> 	We are planning to provide IDN (International Domain Names) support for
>> Evolution. With this support Evolution will be able to process non-ASCII
>> charcaters at domain name, hostname, URI and so on. The effect will be the
user
>> will be able to type in these info in their native language in Evolution.
>>
>> 	For this we need to deliver IDN library too along with evolution, or
>> Evolution should take advantage of the IDN support available in a platform.
We
>> are looking into the second option of hooking onto the already existing
platform
>> support for IDN.
>>
>>  Currently there are many opensource implementations for IDN. We have done an
>> indepth comparison of  IDNKIT 1.0 from JPNIC, IDN SDK 1.0.1 from VeriSign
Inc.,