[Evolution-hackers] Re: ESource, backends

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 21:06, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> Ettore, Toshok and I just had a discussion on IRC re. what to do with
> ESource and how to get parameters across to backends.
>
> What we more-or-less agreed on is that we can pass the ESource to the
> backend, encoded as XML. This lets callers use ESources that are not in
> gconf, but also allows getting updates from gconf if the ESource has a
> UID/path in it (also encoded in the XML).

In general this sounds like the best solution we've seen so far.  I'm
not sure if the gconf updates are viable however since this would
require knowledge of the key (I guess it could be a named property).

> Thus we avoid the gconf requirement, and the changes to the IDL and
> ESource are miniscule (XML serialization code is already there).

Sounds right to me, so lets do it the xml way, without the change
updates and lets add the named properties to the source.

As you suggested earlier Hans, I think we'll put the gui's in evolution
for now.  We can move them down the stack later if need be.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>
Ximian, Inc.