Re: [Evolution-hackers] ESource shortcomings

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 12:15, JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 19:08, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 15:53, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

> > [Backend-specific properties]

> So I discussed this with ettore and hans offline and we think these
> should actually be named properties on the backend.  In this scenario,
> the backends should probably be given the source uid rather than the
> uri, because they will need to grab the named properties for connecting.

So if I got this right, it means the backends will make gconf calls to
get the properties for a given source. Won't this also mean that the
source list will be shared between all clients? I.e. if another client
adds a source (for its own use), it will show up in Evolution, and vice
versa? Unless we add a qualifier, like the gconf path to the source
list...

> The main issue here is the GUI for some individual backends.  For
> instance, where will the LDAP backend gui come from?  and will it be
> readily available to outside developers?  I'm reluctant to put the gui
> bits into e-d-s but it may logically be the only place to put them.  I
> suppose we could have some sort of generated ui, but those tend to
> degrade over time.

Personally I think we should just play it by ear now and look for a
general solution later... Putting the UI bits into e-d-s (or a brand new
e-d-ui?) won't add a lot of work, though, so if we can do that, it'd be
an ok working solution.

--
Hans Petter