Re: [Evolution-hackers] Spam filtering thoughts

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 16:19, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> Now the possible issues:
>
>       * In the case of IMAP mail, when would the spam value get
>         measured?  We have to download the message before we decide
>         whether it's spam or not.  I guess if we make Evolution download
>         all messages by default in the background for offline then we
>         can just hook the spam detection to that.  (But if the user
>         turns that off, then detection wouldn't happen until she opens
>         the message.)

I believe in Mail.app this is actually an option, although I don't
remember if it's global or per-store.  You can choose to download
headers, data, or data and attachments IIRC.  It warns you that spam
filtering isn't available if you do headers-only, but it then does it
when the message is opened.

>       * We would probably want it to automatically recognize messages
>         that went through a spam filter in the server already.  I.e.
>         Evolution could recognize the X-Spam headers and turn the "this
>         is spam" bit on automatically when appropriate?

I think this is a very good idea.

>       * Should the "Junk" folder be implemented as a vfolder, like the
>         Trash?  Then messages wouldn't actually move back and forth
>         between folders, and if there is a false positive the user
>         marking the message as "not spam" would automatically result in
>         the message disappearing from the vfolder and appearing in its
>         original folder.

It would maintain ordering in the original folder, which is nice for
false positives.

Joe