[Evolution-hackers] Evolution LDAP Schema

Howdy list,

Our company just moved from Mozilla Mail to Evolution. We have been
using a custom web-based application as an LDAP front end to store group
contact information that we looked up using Mozilla and now Evolution.

We have used an extended version of inetOrgPerson that provided commonly
named attributes that bridged the differences between the schemas used
by Mozilla, Outlook and Evolution. Now we would like to use the
Evolution schema, but we have a problem with the dn being used.

Our previous approach in the web application was to use a custom
uniqueid attribute built from an MD5 sum of the current time, the name
and the email address strings. We used it in the dn along with the ou
and domain components to identify a unique contact record when it is
created. This allowed us to have multiple John Smith's in our shared
contacts without cn name collision.

I am not interested in doing something non-standard with Evolution
inside our organization, so I bring this suggestion forward in the hopes
that it might spark a discussion about the decision to use the
commonName as the unique property of a contact. Anyone have any
suggestions or comments?

Tony

--
Anthony L. Awtrey