Re: [Evolution-hackers] CamelFolder updates

NotZed wrote:

> So, what would be 'very very very' large?  I thought news would
> be the biggest message base, and that isn't 'very very very' large.
> (when taken group at a time).

I think it's not worth spending much time worrying about what happens
when viewing a folder that has more than 10,000 messages in it.  Yes,
such folders do occur in the real world (archive of customer support
contacts; newsgroups that never expire) but just because the folder has
a huge number of messages in it doesn't mean it's a usable folder.  The
performance of the folder summary is going to be the least of the
problems the user will have -- the real problem is that that's just too
damned many messages to deal with.  It's too many to *scroll* through.

So when people want to deal with folders like that, they're really going
to be dealing with subsets of it, that is, virtual folders generated to
show search results.

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz jwz org             http://www.jwz.org/