Re: bonobo?

>Hi List,
>
>I have been using GPDF as a bonobo component in a GTK application
>of mine.  Now that Evince is the defacto replacement, I'm
>wondering whether Evince can be embedded in a GTK application
>using bonobo.
>
>I notice that running  $ evince --help  gives some bonobo options:
>
>Bonobo activation Support
>   --oaf-ior-fd=FD         File descriptor to print IOR on
>   --oaf-activate-iid=IID  IID to activate
>   --oaf-private           Prevent registering of server with OAF
>
>However, on my Linux Fedora Core 4 system I cannot see any Evince
>.server file in the  /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/ directory.
>
>Would appreciate any info about how to get evince working with
>bonobo (if it can).
>Thankyou,
>Rob Newton

Hello Rob

Bonobo support is not implemented yet, and someone can argue that it's not needed since bonobo is not widely supported. But personally I think we could provide something like optional support for embedding. And I can't promise much since it doesn't seem like widely needed functionality. Sadly, component architecture is dropped completely now.

First of all, current gnome design is completely against embedding something somewhere. We don't even support mozilla plugin due to that reason. Instead you should just spawn evince process with dbus or just with command line.

It's hard to get full gpdf analog due to architecture of evince, for example, it's really hard to create embedded with page entry. But in theory we can provide simple actions like PageNext/PagePrev and implement BonoboControl (without BonoboUIComponent). Will it be enough for you?

Another thing you can try is to intercept X server connection for evince and embed full evince window in UI. For example you can look at mozembedded plugin which does exactly that.