Re: More threading updates

On 20 Mar 2005 01:22:04 -0500, Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So I fixed a lot of the missing/broken features in the threading branch.
> Rendering, page changing, saving, printing and indexing all work now.
> Indexing is on the slow side[1], but we know how to speed that up by a
> lot in poppler.  That leaves four major features left to be done:
>
>  * links in the page.  I have links half working on my machine.  It
>    needs a few poppler changes, so I'm holding off on committing them,
>    but once that change is made, we should be fine.

I'm looking forward to see this in cvs, it would probably help
clarifying how we will go ahead with the other missing features...

> I really don't want to move over to poppler-glib until the threading
> branch is merged to head, and I feel like I've been holding up new
> feature work to have such a large change on a branch.  Things like
> smooth-scrolling and continuous views shouldn't be done until we merge
> back.
>
> When should I think about merging back the branch so that we can start
> doing new feature work again?  Would people find it acceptable to do the
> merge even with all the above broken?  Or should I keep moving forward
> with fixing the features?

What is exactly the advantage to get this work on head? Testing?
If so I think we should create a stable branch and then merge back to
head. It may take a while to get back to feature/stability parity.
People and distributions may need something more mature (even if
slower) in the mean time...

Marco