Re: [RFC] Enable both boxed and plain text selection

Luca Ferretti wrote:
The boxed text selection is really really useful when you have to cut
and past from a 2 column document (i.e. all LaTeX article type
document :-) .

Using the simple, i-beam text selection currently implemented in Evince,
you can't select only the text in one column: the selection covers both
columns :-| Attached here is the cut and paste from the Ximian Evolution
copyright form.

Right now the text-flow based selection is still a bit rough. Most of the work has been going into just drawing the selection and making that work in evince. The poppler selection algorithm still needs a bit of tuning, but I've put that off until we got it integrated in evince. Now that evince can be used to interactively test the selection, I'm planning to work on fine tuning the selection mechanism.

So, what I'm trying to say is, the rectangular selection shouldn't be necessary for selection text from just one of two (or more) columns, poppler should be able to figure out the text flow. That's not working very well now, but I'm hoping that's a bug we can fix.

cheers,
Kristian