SVG Slides Backend

Hi,

We've been using a new evince backend to show our slides during a couple of talks we've given on the Fedora Rendering Project [1]. The slides themselves are just SVG files and they way the backend works is that it reads an index file and uses that to figure which SVG files to load in which order. The index file is just a simple XMl file:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <svgslides-index xmlns="http://www.svgslides.org/svgslides-index0.1";
                   title="test">
    <slide filename="test-001.svg" title="This is a slide"/>
    <slide filename="test-002.svg" title="Bigblue Theme"/>
    <slide filename="test-003.svg" title="Back to normal"/>
  </svgslides-index>

The SVG rendering is done using cairo: the main content area is rendered with the Xlib backend using Render, the thumbnails are rendered with the image (in-memory pixbuf) backend. The SVG parsing is done using libsvg and libsvg-cairo, available from the cairo cvs repository on freedesktop.org. In cairo cvs there is also a small python script that Carl Worth wrote to parse some minimal html-like slide markup and an SVG template and from that generate an index file and svg files suitable for use with this evince backend [2].

I don't know if this is something you want to add to evince, but here's the patch, feel free to use it!

cheers,
Kristian

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject
[2] http://cvs.freedesktop.org/cairo/svgslides/