Non-embedded PDF Font Problem

I just installed Evince onto my Linux From Scratch system, and I am having problems viewing several PDFs which have non-embedded fonts (mostly Times New Roman). I installed the Web Core Fonts (and have them showing up in Epiphany and Sylpheed), but Evince still doesn't display these PDFs properly (the text is squashed, and overlaps, making it unreadable). Does Evince not yet support non-embedded fonts, or is there an extra configuration option I've missed to get this working?