Re: Bookmark/History DB SoC project

Hi,

Le lundi 29 mai 2006 à 22:57 +0100, Jamie McCracken a écrit :
> I would need to know what metadata is needed by default and this should
> be in similiar format to Tracker's file metadata spec at :
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/shared-filemetadata-spec
>
> so I expect you will have metadata like "Bookmark.Uri" and
> "Bookmark.LastVisitedDate" etc

I think we should add more metadata, not just track the last visit but
all visits (so you can search for the site by date even if you've been
there afterwards), and also the referrer (if you know where you came
from to that site, but don't remember the site itself).

> > One thing to keep in mind is that the history data isn't just queried
> > explicitly by the user, but also (and with great frequence on pageload)
> > by the browser to determine link colouring, so it needs to be *fast*.
>
> okay. Obviously use of Dbus is going to have a round trip latency
> associated to it if you are performing synchronous calls (I would guess
> around 2ms per round trip)
>
> Two workarounds spring to mind:
>
> 1) Use async calls so epiphany renders links with a default colour and
> the re-colours them in a callback if its a history link.
>
> 2) We have a GetHistory method in Tracker to return all Uris as a
> GHashTable for the last X days which Epiphany can call on start up. If
> link colouring needs to be synchronous then this would be the best
> solution.

I like 2 better, yes. Link colouring is synchronous (there is a way to
colour links as visited that could be used for async link colouring, and
which is used to colour links that are visited in other tabs, but it
adds some overhead and I'd like to avoid it for the default case).

Regards,
	Christian