Re: Core and UI Separation

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 07:05 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> It would be nice if the core was implemented as a daemon, then you
> could connect from different clients to the core and still see your
> open tabs and their history, etc. You could connect from w3m on the
> terminal or you could choose epiphany as the graphical client. The
> core could maybe accept OSC messages.
>
> Download management could best be handled by a download daemon, such
> as mldonkey if we could get it to work nice with gnome messaging
> framework.

Hi Esben,

As I understand it, the rendering functions of the underlying libraries
are quite tightly tied to the file management functions. It would take
quite a bit of effort to split off the file management functions to a
core daemon and have the rendering done separately. It would be nice,
but difficult.

Regardless, I doubt that mldonkey would be chosen to handle file
management at all. Epiphany tries to keep the dependency requirements
low, and to say "you must install mldonkey to run this web browser"
seems excessive.

Regards,
Peter.