Re: XULRunner and Epiphany

Hi,

Le vendredi 03 février 2006 à 17:56 +0100, Jan de Groot a écrit :
> As package maintainer for Archlinux, I would like to switch from Firefox
> to XULRunner as backend. This has several reasons:
[...]
> Since XULRunner 1.8.0.1 was released yesterday, I wanted to make a
> package and see what epiphany does with it. The patches I need to apply
> seem to be a little bit outdated in the wiki
As far as I know, those patches haven't been applied to the 1.8 branch
yet, so they should still be needed. Do they not apply cleanly anymore
perhaps?

> , so I would have to find
> out which bug is fixed and which is not (the same as with firefox
> 1.5.0.1). Since the codebase is shared, I guess I can get away with the
> same patches I applied to firefox 1.5.0.1.
Yes.

> My biggest concern, before even starting this operation: what is the
> downside of switching to XULRunner for epiphany 1.8.x, and what would be
> the downside of switching for epiphany 1.9.x/1.10.x?

The biggest problem with xulrunner is that in its default configuration,
it is missing some components that a web browser needs. Specifically,
its default --enable-extensions (xulrunner configure) does NOT include
"permissions" and "cookie", which you should add:
--enable-extensions=default,permissions,cookie

With that fixed, epiphany 1.9.6 should compile and work with xulrunner
1.8.0.1; please let us know if it indeed works :)

Regards,
	Christian