Re: Acid Test 2

On 4/21/06, Dev Tugnait <dev unixdaemon org> wrote:
> Been seeing a lot of buzz about this with opera. What's epiphany's
> viewpoint on this. I gave it a shot and yeah the image is distorted.

While I can't speak for the Epiphany team, since I am not one of them...

First, it's Mozillas Gecko engine that does the rendering, so unless
the Epiphany team joins Gecko and start patching, it's out of their
hands.

Second, and this is my personal opinion, I think that the ACID test is
of small importance other than for possible bragging rights. Don't get
me wrong, I rely heavily on CSS myself, and I'm all for better support
of it in all ways. But the ACID test mostly tests quite arcane edge
cases and that fallbacks works correctly, stuff that rarely if ever
occurs in nature. Case in point is, how many pages do you happen upon
that is broken in Epiphany/Firefox but that works in Opera/Safari? And
the other way around?

So, while it makes for nice PR, and especially gives their users more
forum-ammo, it doesn't really have any impact on what makes a good
browser, at least not today. And you have to wonder, those resources
spent apparently exclusively to pass this test, what could it have
been used for instead? As CSS and other support gets implemented
anyways, eventually those things will be fixed in Gecko, too.

-- Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Lundén
✉ kristoffer lunden gmail com