Re: About Bookmarks and Categories

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:09:02AM +0200, Kristoffer Lundén wrote:
[..]
>"The traditional way of organizing bookmarks is too complicated for
>average users. Assigning topics to bookmarks instead of hierarchical
>folders is more intuitive. This means a few differences to traditional
>bookmarks systems:"
>
>The condescending words about average users aside, I would like to
>request an explanation on how this is more intiutive and furthermore,
>what benefits it gives. The simplistic behaviour of picking *one*
>folder and sticking your data in it seems to be the most intiutive to
>me. There isn't much to be confused about then.
>
>I can get pretty annoyed in for instance gmail when the only way to say
>that a mail is from my school, and about the education in general, and
>another mail is also from my school but about a certain class - is to
>mark up with several labels, or create separate labels for all these
>cases. Actually, I have to create completely separate labels, because
>the quick-links only allow to select one label at the time.
>
>Maybe it would work if the menus allowed to *easily* search on multiple
>criteria at once. In a way, that's what a hierarchy does.  Frankly,
>I've been trying to come up with examples where I would like to reach a
>bookmark in several ways, and not coming up with a single one. Plenty
>of examples on when I'd just put it in one top level box though, and a
>few where it'd make sense to have sublevels to that one.  Say
>"development/web", "development/epiphany" etc. Those don't make enough
>sense with the topics "development" and "web" all by themselves, it's
>the combination that does it.

I've gotten converted quite recently. I found that my hierarchy in FF
became too confusing, and I often ended up having to spend time looking
stuff up (did I file that bookmark to linux security under linux or
under security?). It just fits me better to use categories rather than a
hierarchy. I'm especially fond of being able to file something the I
want to check out both under "To check out" and under a more properly
named category.

I'm also using Delicious to share my bookmarks between my different
machines. There is a service for sharing hierarchical bookmark stores
for FF, but I didn't like it since it forces me to keep all the
bookmarks I want to sync under a specific folder, i.e. I can't mix
shared and non-shared bookmarks (further confusing my finding a
bookmark). Now all I need to do add the category "Share" to a bookmark.

I'm not sure it's more intuitive, it was a long time since I started
using web browsers and they've always had hierarchical bookmark folders.
I find that categories fits me better, and I think I've become a bit
more effective in my browsing by switching to Epiphany.

/M

magnus therning org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which
is the exact opposite.
     -- Bertrand Russel