Re: Proposal for bookmarks/history database

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:50:53AM +1100, Peter Harvey wrote:
>Database layout (warning: I am not a database person).
>
>Each 'node' of information is identified by a unique integer. We store
>the statement "node X belongs to a set Y" as "node X is a child of node
>Y".
>
>table 'set'
>  int parent      # index on this field
>  int child
>
>table 'pages'
>  int id          # primary key
>  string url      # url
>  string title    # title from last visit
>  string icon     # icon from last visit
>  string btitle   # NULL if not bookmarked otherwise it's bookmark title
>  string bicon    # NULL if should default to icon
>  date visit      # date of visit
>
>table 'sites'
>  int id          # primary key
>  string name     # things like 'slashdot.org' or 'abc.com'
>
>table 'topics'
>  int id          # primary key
>  string title    # title of the topic

Just to see if I understand what you mean:

 1. set - table used to group things together
 2. pages - table for storing history
 3. sites - table of bookmarks
 4. topics - table of topics

To put a site S in a topic T you add a row (T.id, S.id) to 'set', right?
Won't 'sites' need a URL field as well? Or are you proposing coupling
every site with a page? If you are, cleaning out history needs a little
care, right?
Will the handling of hierarchical topics remain in the UI? (I.e. a topic
with a name like "X->Y" will show up in the menu as an item X with a
sub-item Y.)

/M

magnus therning org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Am I being overly harsh or do others think that the multi-thousand bit
key is about sowing fear, uncertainty, and doubt for commercial gain?
DES? Not big enough! Triple DES? Not big enough! IDEA? Not big enough!
What you need is Dr.  Phineas P. Snakeoil's mystery elixir! Filled
with matrices and Galois fields to improve the digestion of dyspeptic
managers everywhere! Step right up and get a whole case full! Don't
ask what's inside ladies and gentlemen! It's a patent medicine that is
only available here.
      -- Stephen M. Gardner