Re: Browser re-org

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 11:11 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> So, from all of this I've started to conclude that bookmarks as we,
> and firefox use them are becoming a burden on people and no longer
> useful.

Just an aside: Epiphany's bookmarks menu is not the intended way to
access bookmarks. Users are meant to just type stuff into the location
bar and select the bookmark from the dropdown. (Compare this to Firefox,
in which the bookmarks *are* meant to be accessed in a menu
hierarchy....)

That's not to say that Epiphany's bookmarks system is perfect, but I
think more and more people are coming to realize that it's better than
Firefox's. Unless they try to use the menu hierarchy, which has always
sucked in every browser and sucks even more in Epiphany (but if Peter
Harvey's patch makes it in, Epiphany's will suck way less).

> Bookmarks and History, a match made in heaven

Agreed!

> I'm proposing we keep all that information.  We look at the web and
> our browser as a couple different use cases and really tune for those
> things.  Off the top of my head I use the browser for:
>         1. Checking pages I look at often: Google News, Planet GNOME,
>         Evince Bug Listing
>         2. Finding new things through google (insert other search
>         engines here) to solve a problem I'm having.
>         3. Opening links someone sent me: link pasted into IRC chat
>         4. Going back to things I found once before: bookmarks for
>         code reference pages
> If we look at these 4 generic uses (there's probably a few more) and
> tune our bookmarks system for this, I think we can provide a much
> better experience for several aspects of the browser.
>
> Crazy Research Thoughts:
>
> For 1. maybe we could automatically put those items into the bookmarks
> bar for people
> For 2. we remember the search terms used and the pages clicked on in
> the search and store/display that so people can more easily search
> again for those pages
> For 3. maybe we can know where the browser was launched from and save
> that so that we can store "link was found from #epiphany had this link
> 3 days ago"
> For 4. Maybe this is where we create a search applet that searches
> history + bookmarks and shows results in a dynamic query system or
> forwards the search on to google if nothing is found locally.

Two unrelated comments:

1. There's a lot of parallel with Beagle here. Beagle can already index
web pages... and though we don't have a beagle-feeding extension for
Epiphany, it would be quite trivial to make one.

2. There is a lot of garbage in a user's history. Extending your use
case: when you searched for a PyGTK tutorial, you probably came across
five bad ones before you found the one you liked. So you'd need a way to
mark a page as "I like this page", or something along those lines,
otherwise your history search results would be just as bad as Google's.

Adam