Re: One window per URL

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Peter Harvey wrote:

a with the zoom-level. But to be truly document oriented,
would that mean remembering the position of the scroll bar? Or

Well I concede that going back to the last scrollbar position is not something you'd typically want when opening a new webpage (as opposed to pressing Back for instance).

Hehe, yeah, true. But if we continue to open links in the current window I think we're already not document-oriented. Each page is a "document" so should get another window, right? We're "view-oriented" if there is such a thing.

That is correct, and I think it's mostly a limitation imposed by the current windowing model in GNOME. If you think window cluttering is bad in spatial nautilus, imagine what that would be like if we'd open a new window for each and every clicked link! <dream> What if closing a tab or window was just another way of saying "minimize to History", and after a certain amount of inactivity time, web pages would dissolve to the History by themselves, and you'd be able to restore them from the history with a minimum of effort in the exact state where you left them? </dream>

I agree with your point on evince. The difference with evince is that the window does correspond to a fixed document on my computer. To make my point, should http://bash.org/?random1 be regarded as a document?

The distinction you're making is that between static and dynamic documents. Epiphany 1.7 already auto-updates the view of locally modified files (I think). However, the way the Web is set up, I don't think a webserver can just tell a user agent that a certain recently requested web page has been updated.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen	   ***	student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl    ***	mobile phone: +31-6-44360778