Completely unsatisfied navigational scenario

In school we're always asked to make use cases and scenarios for
software design. Well, I just browsed in a completely ordinary manner
and realized how much the "back/forward" paradigm sucks. So here's my
scenario:

Goal: learn about next semester's professors

Preconditions:
- Browsed to "www.ratemyprofessor.com".
- Browsed to my school (country -> province -> school, no big deal).

- Clicked the "T" link, to get the web page of professors whose last
names begin with "T".
- Scrolled to the professor, clicked on his name to see his web page.
- Clicked "back" to get to the list of professors whose last names begin
with "T".
- Clicked the "M" link to find my next professor.
- Scrolled to my professor, clicked on his name to see his web page.
- Clicked "back" to get back to the professor list.
- Repeated 3 more times.
- Wanted to go back to my first professor's web page.

What I instinctively tried:
- I clicked the little down-arrow next to the "back" button to see a
list of my recently-browsed pages. I felt that those pages ought to have
been there.

Workarounds:
- I could have used the History, but I don't want to open a whole new
window: I feel like those pages should be easily available.
- I could train myself to middle-click on links when I assume they'll
have what I want, or to open a new tab on web pages I find mildly
interesting, on the off chance that I decide I'd like to peruse them
again.

It seems to me this exact same procedure crops up when browsing online
mailing lists and -- most importantly -- Google search results.

I'm well aware that this post has absolutely no material that hasn't
been discussed for ages, but I find it describes a very simple and very
common use case. In fact, I'd guess that the solution to this simple use
case would probably cover around 90% of the use cases in which the
"back/forward" paradigm breaks down.

I only post this on the off chance that it inspires somebody.

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>