Re: epiphany plugins

On Sat, 2005-16-04 at 16:48 +0000, DANIEL hoggan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing this message to see if any one can help me write a new
> interface to epiphanies plugin management that would be similar to how GDM
> works with new themes. or how I could just rewrite that part of GDMs' code
> for epiphany.
>
> Any assistance would be most welcome, thanks!

(Assuming you're talking about "extensions", not plugins....)

It shouldn't be difficult at all. Pretty much all the code has already
been written: it's in "extensions-manager-ui" in the
"epiphany-extensions" CVS module. You'd just have to set up a new Glade
file for the UI, and set up a callback when the list selection changes,
to modify the data on the other pane. (Oh, and you'd want to use one of
Epiphany's helper functions to save the position of the vertical divider
bar thingy (GDM doesn't let you reposition the divider, but it should).

However, in defense of the current interface....

It's made to be as similar as possible to the "Add to Panel" interface.
The only difference is that the pretty icons have been replaced by
checkboxes. That's for two reasons: (1) we need checkboxes, and (2) we
don't have any icons.

IMO, without screenshots the GDM graphical greeter interface would be a
huge step backwards from the current one. The dialog would be bigger and
less simple. However, I do encourage you to give it a shot, since I
could quite easily be unfairly biased against it, and I haven't seen
what it would be like.

But whatever you do, don't set *white* backgrounds on *labels*.

If I were you, I'd spend my time changing GDM's theme selection to look
more like the GNOME "Theme Preferences" dialog. To me, the GDM setup
screen (in general, not just "Graphical greeter") sticks out like a sore
thumb as one of the least usable dialogs in GNOME.

Adam