Re: Epiphany download/open dialog

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:54:31AM +0200, Rapha?l Slinckx wrote:
> After some IRC discussing we came to the conclusion that the current way
> of handling download vs. view vs. download-because-can't-view dialogs
> isn't very clear.
>
> The idea is to merge evey case in one dialog, that would serve all our
> purpose, i did a quick mockup of the thing, the layout is bad, it's not
> HIG compliant or whatever, it's just an idea:
>
> http://raphael.slinckx.net/images/dialog-handler.png
> http://raphael.slinckx.net/images/dialog-no-handler.png

User-centric thoughts on the dialogs:

My initiay first thought is the wording "open also downloads the file"
is awkward, and at first thought, backwards.  Maybe 'Download also opens
file' or simply a checkbox with "Open file"?

In the '-no-handler' one, the greyed out check would be unchecked I
would think, otherwise the user will think that the download has no
choice but to open the file, when in fact it's the opposite.

The amount of wording for the middle text "you can open this [type] in
[program] is a bit awkward as well, especially for the '-no-handler'
one.  Maybe simply not show the text, or have something like
'Open with [program]' and 'Download to default location'.  Less text ==
better of course, we all know how much people love to read dialogs :)

> Maybe we can call this checkbox "Delete after viewing" it would be more
> clear to understand for novice not used to temp location concept.

Is this accurate though?  If it's just that the file is downloaded to a
temp folder...  I'd object to this wording as well simply because it
goes against every other browser out there, so this option would
probably confuse users.

> -It provides a single, quite simple and gnome-standard dialog each time
> you click on a non-text link, that means only one dialog to "learn"
>
> -The download button is always available and is always in the same spot
> in the dialog, lower right corner, that means if i know i want to
[snip]

Yup, consistancy is good :)

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"Backups are for people who don't pray."                 -- big Mike