Re: download functionality

* Reinout van Schouwen <reinouts gnome org> [Nov 23, 2004 13:20]:
> Murray Cumming posted a preliminary 2.9 modules list on
> desktop-devel-list. What's interesting, about the proposed gwget he
> says:
> "No, this functionality belongs in epiphany."

> Does it? I always thought that a complex download manager *didn't*
> belong in ephy, but that an external downloader should be able to
> replace the default download mechanism, possibly as an extension.

Again, it seems that people don't live by their own preachings.  Where
is all the supposed reuse in GNOME?  Hey, we have a bunch of code
invested in crap like ORBit and Bonobo, but no one is using it and with
good reason: it sucks.  Hopefully, the simpler DBUS stuff will allow for
this kind of reuse.  I see no reason why epiphany should have a download
manager at all.  Its purpose is, in the end, to navigate us to the
files, not to do additional work and provide four-assed download
interfaces.  Sorry, but no deal.  The same goes for bookmarks, separate
them out and make something better and make this accessible from
Epiphany instead (preferably with keyword bookmarks, *hint*, *hint*).
It seems that everyone is thinking monolithic while posing as proponents
of micro-kernels.
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::