Re: Dashboard integration patch (Draft)

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Christian Persch wrote:

> It seems okay if getting the whole page is all you want to do.
> However, didn't you originally want also to get only content below
> <head> node etc? I could also imagine list of links, images etc to be
> of interest to dashboard... For all that there's currently no epiphany
> API, so you'd need to directly use mozilla APIs for that.

Yeah,. but actually sending the whole content actually works OK,
dashboard is pretty good at pulling out relevant info (links, email
addresses etc.)

> I'd prefer to have API in Epiphany to get from EphyEmbed to its DOM
> document(s) or maybe the docshell(s), and use that in the extension.
> Then you're not limited to whatever epiphany provides, but can use the
> full range of mozilla DOM apis on the document.

Yeah, this was meant as a short to medium term patch until we managed to
expose that stuff - I got the impression from earlier emails that it'd
be reasonably complex ...

> I've noticed that in the dashboard extension the content will get
> escaped ("<" -> "&lt;" etc.), you could do that already here,
> there is a flag for nsIDocumentEncoder for that.

Yeah, but I was trying not to restrict the ephy patch to be used *just*
by the dashboard extension

> Also, in which encoding does dashboard expect its clues? You don't set
> any, so nsIDocumentEncoder will (iirc) deliver the content in the
> document encoding.

I *think* that's probably right ....

I've revised the patch to trim some of the fat as you suggested, my only
remaining question is what the EMBED_PERSIST_COPY_PAGE flag does - is it
needed?

The revised patch is at:

http://www.leewillis.co.uk/dashboard/
epiphany_patch_to_generate_page_content_2.patch

Are there any further comments? Could this go in?

Thanks
Lee
--
Lee Willis                                lee leewillis co uk