Inspiration from EPlugins

This morning I've scanned over some of the in-development EPlugin documentation (http://primates.ximian.com/~notzed/doc/e-plugin-manual/) for a few minutes. (EPlugins are plugins for Evolution). What do EPlugins have that we don't?

- Information about a plugin is stored in a separate XML file. We've been looking for a way to get extension descriptions in Epiphany, this sounds like a good idea. - "Hooks" are defined in an XML file somewhere. All functions are a result of hook callbacks. In Epiphany, we just use signals. - "Hooks" are all invoked with a single data argument; in more complex functions, it would be a struct. In Epiphany, signals can be emitted with multiple arguments.
- Plugins can be written in multiple languages (e.g., mono).

Since I've got to go to work soon, I can't really elaborate (or even confirm that I've understood these docs). But my brief summary:

- Our extension system, with GObjects and signals, is Really Cool (signals are great). Especially in 1.5 when we'll load/unload them on-the-fly (I promise!) - We should store data about extensions in an XML file. We could probably copy the Epiphany format to a large extent. Should this go in $(LIBS)/epiphany/extensions?

--
Adam Hooper
adamh densi com