Re: Epiphany pixmap storage usage. (Please use xrestop, it is your friend).

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 06:31 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> I was using xrestop (see
> http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xrestop/?root=xapps
> (xapps/xrestop in freedesktop's CVS).
>
> As far as I can tell, Epiphany is profligate with its use
> of Pixmap storage in the X server (and in epiphany itself),
> and I find no way in the UI
> to limit this usage.  X only does what it is asked, and
> epiphany seems to like to use lots of memory.

Hi Jim,

I just ran a quick comparison of Firefox and Epiphany (browsing
www.slashdot.org www.abc.net.au/news www.google.com www.debian.org in
tabbed mode) and turned up these results from xrestop:

res-base Wins  GCs Fnts Pxms Misc   Pxm mem  Other   Total   PID Identifier
2e00000   113   40    1  155   74     2294K      6K   2300K   ?   Google - Mozilla Firefox
2c00000   117   40    1  112   57     2208K      6K   2214K   ?   Google

Basically, both applications top the list of pixmap usage according to
xrestop. Is this the resource hogging you were referring to? Was there
other tests you ran (eg. history window, bookmark editor, opening a
file)?

I'm not a proper Epiphany developer, but I think the pixmap usage may be
a problem with the Mozilla rendering engine and not the Epiphany code
itself.

Quoting from http://www.gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1545
        Many "modern" X11 applications are written with a blatant
        disregard for latency, round trips, and network bandwidth. They
        don't work properly with high latencies and are nearly
        impossible to run over even 10Mbps links. Gnome applications are
        big offenders, Mozilla is even worse (in fact, one of the
        Mozilla GUI authors told me that they just don't give a damn
        about remote usage at all).

Regards,
Peter.