re: [Epiphany] 1.2 Plan (kiosk mode)

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Christian Persch wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 18:46, Christopher James Lahey wrote:
>> > And of course, as soon as I send that message I remember some of the
>> > other features I want to see for kiosk mode.
>> >
>> > 6) Restrict set of viewable URLs.  The decision of whether a URL is
>> > viewable should be some list of blacklists and whitelists with some
>> > sort of globbing/regexp or directory functionality.  This should
>> > probably prevent viewing of said URLs both from the URL bar and from
>> > hyperlinks.
>>
>> I disagree here. Restricting the UI so that the user can't hose the
>> setup on the computer he's on it okay, but restricting _where_ he
>> browses to it not: we should not enable or facilitate censorship.
>
> And I strongly disagree with your disagreement.  There are different
> kinds of kiosks.  Some of them are for general purpose browsing, and
> probably shouldn't be limited, but some are provided for one very
> specific purpose. For instance, several libraries I've been to have
> terminals set up that provide catalog information from the library
> website.  They're not provided for the purpose of doing normal web
> browsing (there are other computers in a different lab for that), but
> so that patrons can quickly look up the locations of books at
> convenient locations near the stacks. Ideally, the UI should be locked
> down enough to prohibit entering an arbitrary URL, and there shouldn't
> be any links out of the "safe space", but realistically it's nice to be
> able to limit the computer to the purpose it was put there for.

You can do what you need using an "automatic proxy configuration URL"
that point to a javascript file, that can tell the browser wich
connections can be made DIRECT and wich one needs a proxy server (you can
use an inexistent proxy to lock the access). The proxy server setting can
be locked using gconf features