re: [Epiphany] 1.2 Plan (kiosk mode)

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 12:38, Matt Hughes wrote:
> > > I'd suggest also maybe working a bit on kiosk mode; it's something we
> > > need for corporate deployments.
>
> > Ouch right, I was going to insert lock down prefs/kiosk and I forgot it.
> > Someone was planning to work on a list of requirements for kiosk mode, I
> > think this would be the right time to begin ;)
>
> If no one has progressed on kiosk mode since this the 1.2 Plan was
> discussed on Aug 3rd, I have some suggestions. These come out of a
> kiosk mode implementation I did for Galeon 1.2, which is used on
> kiosks, and is quite effective.
>
> I'm interested in reimpimenting for Epiphany, but since others are
> interested in kiosk mode as well, I might as well get some feedback
> before I begin.
>
> What do people who are interested in kiosk mode think of the
> following?

It's really great to get feedback on this by someone that has
experience with seeting up a kiosk, thanks.

> A list of features implemented in kiosk mode:
>
> 1) Kiosk mode: disables most menus (including accelerators) so that
>    only the edit, go, and tab menus remain. Bookmark editing is not
>    allowed, settings cannot be changed, context menus have restricted
>    navigation, image, email, properties, and link options.

I wonder if it would make sense to allow to put a custom .xml for the ui
in the user directory. That way kiosks could personalize the menubar
in the way they likes. (That should already work for toolbar).
The format is now very simple and control only the layout part of the ui
unlike bonoboui.

> New windows
> cannot be opened, only new tabs (it is intended to run full screen).

What about javascript popups ?

> 2) Super kiosk mode: No navigation of any kind is allowed; no menus,
>    toolbars, etc. No vi naviagions keys, no new tabs or windows.

This could probably be a special case of the .xml in user dir.
(<ui></ui>).

> 4) No print prompt: No print dialog is shown; everything is
>    automatically sent to the printer as configured in the gconf
>    keys. This is userful for registration kiosks (print invoked from
>    javascript).

Yeah a gconf key for this sounds easy. Christian would this be possible
also with the new implementation ?

> 5) No mime action prompt: Prevents the mime action dialog from being
>    shown when the user clicks on a file with an unrecognized
>    type. Instead shows a dialog that says downloading has been
>    disabled.

Yeah.

Marco