Re: Hierarchies and Topics ctd.

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 13:07, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The last weeks there has been discussion about hierarchy in the bookmarks
> and the possibility to have categories(topics) and subcategories.
>
> It occured to me that one possibility to deal with 'topic overload' hasn't
> been discussed yet, AFAIR. The idea is that there is no distinction
> between topics or subtopics and no hierarchy either, like it is now in
> Epiphany.
>
> However, the bookmarks browser would have not one but two (optionally
> more?) topic selectors. The user could select one topic in the first
> selector, and then the second selector will show a topic list narrowed to
> those topics of which bookmarks exist that have both topics. Checking such
> a second topic would further narrow down the bookmarks list to the
> bookmarks that have both topics.
>
> Similarly, when adding a new bookmark, a second topic list could be shown
> that lists topics for which bookmarks exist with the first-checked topic,
> so that it can be made easier for the user to do some more detailed
> "categorization".

How about having the user check all topics that apply as they do now,
but also have a mechanism for marking some topics and subtopics of
others. So for example if I have topics Linux, Redhat, Gentoo, Gnome,
KDE. Redhat is both a topic in of itself and marked as a subtopic of
Linux. Gnome is again a topic by itself but also marked as subtopic of
both Linux and Redhat.

> For this idea to work, however, the user should consciously check multiple
> topics when they apply. I don't know how feasible that is in reality...
>
> regards,

-Igor
Well, Jim, I'm not much of an actor either.