[Epiphany] Re: Footprint work - minimo

Pete Collins wrote:

>> New Support in Minimo:
>>
>> Disabling xpinstall, js component loading, allowing a simple single
>> profile, and removed obsolete file abstractions.  Currently we are at
>> 8mb in terms of disk footprint at around 15mb in memory footprint.
>

> 8mb uncompressed?
>
> I have 24mb uncompressed and 7mb compressed w/ bzip.
>
> Doug can you clarify 8mb uncompressed disk print?
>
> Thanks
>
> --pete

I don't have a static build right now and this build contains some intl
work i am doing (which I will announce later).  Note that it is a total
of 13 MB not 8 MB.

I will double check what I did to generate the 8mb number (it may be do
to my misunderstanding of the mZ tinderbox test case.  This test case
reports today 8.85 MB.  I understood this to mean binary size, but I
think it just means "code" size.  If this is the case, i apologize for
citing bad info).

Also this isn't mozilla, it is a custom build of TestGtkEmbed and
required "stuff" built from the minimo branch.  I would guess this would
be more important to you than the mozilla client, right?

 > du -h Embed/
52K	Embed/defaults/pref
56K	Embed/defaults
8.7M	Embed/components
12K	Embed/res/dtd
28K	Embed/res/builtin
36K	Embed/res/entityTables
188K	Embed/res
324K	Embed/chrome
13M	Embed

However, will all of that said, I think that ephiphany should also
investigate using the GRE.  Blizzard and I have been spending some time
to ensure that the GRE doesn't suck on linux.  Using this approach would
allow you not to worry so much about disk footprint since the GRE would
be shared among multiple applications.

I am going to give a talk in a few week on the GRE.  I will try to make
sure it is recorded to so that you can listen or watch it.  Of course,
your welcome to attend.  If you are interested, just drop me a line.

Regards,
--
Doug Turner
dougt@netscape.com