[Epiphany] Footprint work - minimo

Good afternoon,

I and a few other engineers at Netscape are working on reducing
footprint in the mozilla browser.  You may be interested in looking at
the "minimo" branch that we are working on.  The aim here is to remove
"stuff" that isn't essential to supporting an browser application on a
device.

For example, if your application doesn't require XUL - there is no
reason you should have to ship XUL support.  If you don't want to
support FTP (as an example), you don't have to ship the protocol handler
and related code.  In these cases, you just run configure with a special
"mozconfig" file and presto - a custom mozilla.

New Support in Minimo:

Disabling xpinstall, js component loading, allowing a simple single
profile, and removed obsolete file abstractions.  Currently we are at
8mb in terms of disk footprint at around 15mb in memory footprint.

The tinderbox for this work is here:
http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=MiniMo

As the 1.4a Mozilla Trunk opens up, we hope to land these changes back
onto the trunk.

Note that these are custom mozilla builds and hence your application
will not be using a system installation of Mozilla (aka the GRE).

Your comments welcome.

--
Doug Turner
dougt@netscape.com