[Epiphany] Re: Epiphany 0.8.2 "Gestures not included"

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 20:42, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:37:40 +0200, Sir Marco Pesenti Gritti scribed thus:
> > Interface improvements
> >
> > 	* Disable smooth scroll and image autoresize (Marco)
>
> I probably just need context, but how does removing these two improve the
> user interface? Smooth scroll is simply a look'n'feel issue, and image
> auto resize has a fairly intuitive UI anyway (only one action, toggle
> zoom).

The category is really not well choosen, but I did not know where to put
it otherwise (I had the feeling I was going to get complains about it
though ;)

Smooth scroll was disabled because it doesnt work well on some systems,
making scrolling look terrible, (in particular on TFT I think). It was
disabled also in Firebird that originally enabled this option. Until
these problems are solved we thought it was safer to keep it disabled,
we cant expect users to change settings to make scroll work correctly.
It's still possible to enable it with about:config.

Image autoresize is a lot less clear cut. As you say the interface is
fairly intuitive. The question is if the extra click is worth the
benefit.
The reasons that convinced me to disable it was:
- "Most of the large images I'm looking at are someone else's
screenshots or photos for both of which I've already seen a thumbnail.
Resizing is just giving me an extra click, no benefit."
- The quality of the scaled down image is really poor, because you cant
scale at good quality fastly.
- There was some agreement that a better solution would have been to
open image urls in an embedded image viewer. For example it could have
allowed to persist the scaled/unscaled state.

Marco