Exif makernotes not shown?

I own a Canon Powershot A620 digital camera and when viewing images in eof (and also in gthumb), no makernotes are shown. The section "Maker Note" is empty and section "Other" says "xxxx bytes unknown data" for the makernote. From what I have read about libexif, canon makernotes are supported (but not all exif tags can be decoded).

I have eog 2.14.2 and libexif 0.6.12 (from Ubuntu 6.06) if that matters.