Eog status update

Hello,

just want to give a short summary of the latest and upcoming changes of Eye of Gnome to anyone interested.

Today, I applied a large patch which removes the usage of Bonobo stuff from the so called eog shell. This has a few advantages:

- Usage of the new GtkUIManager stuff (which I think is quite good)
- A more consistent functionality/look for single image and
  collection view with less code duplication.
- Much, much, much faster
- More flexible code-wise, which hopefully let me concentrate more on
  features then ideas howto workaround bonobo bugs/limitations.

This change _does not_ remove the image viewer and collection view bonobo components, but they won't be used anymore when you call the eog program directly. Nautilus will still be able to switch to an eog collection view. This way its possible to adapt the collection view much better to the requirements a user has in Nautilus (eg. filmstrip view).

My plans for the future of Eye of Gnome are as following:

- better metadata support and editing (esp. IPTC)
- transparent least-lossy saving (no separate jpeg saving
  dialog)
- export functionality (webcollage, (s)vcd)
- improved/reworked printing (eg. contact prints).
- convenient mass-renaming
- deletion of images

Most of these changes need serious design and work. If anybody is interested in helping out with it, please contact me or the list here. A good first step would be, to studie other image managing programs, esp. on windows like irfanview, thumbsplus, Adobe Photoshop Album, ACDsee and others.

Regards,

    Jens