File opening error

Hello all,
I'm having an issue with eog. Actually it started out as an issue with nautilus, but I think the root cause of the issue is in eog. Here's the deal, when I double click on a graphic in nautilus, .xsession-errors reports:

** (nautilus:28074): WARNING
**: activation failed: System exception: IDL:Bonobo/GeneralError:1.0 : Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure occurred

** (nautilus:28074): WARNING
**: A view failed. The UI will handle this with a dialog but this should be debugged.

When I try to open eog from the cmdline, and then just open a jpg through the "File|Open" dialog I get the following error in the terminal:

error open file:///<filename>

and I get the same error in .xsession-errors when opening eog through gnome and trying to open a file the same way.

I'm using gnome 2.4.0 built by hand with garnome and eog 2.4.0.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

Thanks.
-Brett Humphreys