EoG preliminary feature list for Gnome 2.2

Hi,

I assembled a list of new features for eog, which I expect to be in the
2.2. release of the Gnome desktop:

  - new preferences dialog
     - I am in favor of dropping the menu preferences (these are soooo
       ugly). Instead we should proved a new dialog as sketched in this
       mail:
       http://mail.gnome.org/archives/eog-list/2002-July/msg00001.html

  - collection view:
     - TMS spec compatible icon preview (basically works)
     - diashow of selected images
       (this needs some more polishing, but basically works)
     => to get this working you must add --enable-collection on the
        configure/autogen line
     - adding comments and other metadata to images
     - save metadata as xml collection file
     - make it accessable
     => A neat effect is, that this could also work as a photo collection
       view for nautilus (indeed it does already) (#40122), where you
       can make a diashow directly from nautilus.

  - image editing
     - image rotating, flipping (#68340)
       (works in my local tree, patch needs some polishing)
     - image scaling
     - saving of modified images (plus all stuff like asking the user if
       he want's to save the image and so on)

  - file open dialog
     - since it seems like a new filedialog won't be in 2.2 our dialog
       should support thumbnail previewing
     - remember last visted location (#90767)
     - allow multi selection of file images (#85497)

  - make it HIG compatible
     - AFAICS there needs only some minor issues fixing.

I think its possible to have all these features in the 2.2 version. The
following points probably need some more work/thinking/understanding how
to solve it The Right Way:

  - Fix the most annoying bug in eog: Make an image fit into the window
    initally _without_ scrollbars in _all_ cases.

  - progressive image loading
     - would lead to a much better speed impression, especially
       when viewing remote/large images in nautilus.
     - there is an unfinished patch by Michael in bug #89831

  - when viewing local jpeg images, use libexif to read possibly available
    digital camera information

Any comments or suggestions on this?

Regards,

    Jens

--
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything as
if it were a nail" - A. Maslow           -= http://triq.net/~pearl =-