Preferences heads-up

Hello,

I just removed the Edit/Preferences code, its dialog box, all the
property control mechanism, and all the associated code which was
horrible to begin with.

So now we only have the View menu, which works nicely.  The code that
handles it is horrible, too, but not as horrible as the Preferences code
used to be.

If anyone wants to hack on this, I'd like the GConf-handling code to use
strings rather than integers for enumeration values.  E.g. right now we
use (0, 1, 2) for (nearest, bilinear, hyperbolic).  We should be storing
strings in the GConf database instead.

  Federico