Re: Thumbnail sharing

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> 	3) File dates. Nautilus makes the thumbnails have dates that match the
> files they were generated from rather than the time they were generated.
> That way, the code can compare the date on the file with the date on the
> thumbnail for a (usually correct) check to see if the thumbnail needs to
> be regenerated due to changes in the file.

Hm, where is this check? In libnautilus-private/nautilus-thumbnails.c it
does a simple check on the mtime of the two files. Why do you want to
store the creation time of the original image in the thumbnail? In which
cases could a simple image.mtime < thumb.mtime check fail?

> Sharing the thumbnails would be great. But I want to get it right and not
> break some of the subtle points in the thumbnail implementation.

As Havoc suggested, I will prepare a first draft of a thumbnail
specification and post it here. Then we can base our discussion on this
paper.

Regards,

   Jens