Re: eog and editing

Lutz Mueller <urc8 rz uni-karlsruhe de> writes:

> Would you like EOG to have basic image editing capabilities like crop and
> resize? If yes, I would implement that using the few functions that
> gdk-pixbuf provides.

I would like to keep EOG an image viewer with no editing capabilities.

However, I do want to have color correction tables for images; let's
say a whole batch of pictures from your digital camera came out
bluish; in that case you would set up the appropriate color correction
curves for that part of your image collection.  Images would not be
re-saved with these changes; they would just be tweaked on the fly
when we load them.

Cropping may be interesting, but it would be done on the fly as
well.  I don't want EOG to be saving modified images.

> Federico, I once asked you for rotation in gdk-pixbuf (digital cameras
> sometimes don't bother about orientation). Is this still on your
> TODO-list? Rotate could be the third (and last?) edit capability of EOG.

Yeah, this is still in my TODO list.  It is like a 20-line function
anyways, so if you have a couple spare minutes, please feel free to
write it :)

The APIs I suggested to Arik once was

	GdkPixbuf *gdk_pixbuf_flip (GdkPixbuf *pixbuf,
				    gboolean horiz,
				    gboolean vert,
				    gboolean in_place);

		Flips a pixbuf.  If in_place is true, the original
		data is modified and the same value as `pixbuf' is
		returned.  If in_place is false, we try to allocate a
		new pixbuf and return NULL on failure; on success we
		write the flipped data there.

	GdkPixbuf *gdk_pixbuf_rotate (GdkPixbuf *pixbuf,
				      int angle,
				      gboolean in_place);

		Rotates a pixbuf by 90-degree multiples in the
		counter-clockwise direction.  It needs to

			g_return_val_if_fail (angle % 90 == 0, NULL);

These would be very nice to have.  I don't know if we can add them to
the 1.4 platform right now since it is frozen, but we can certainly
put them in EOG.

  Federico