[Ekiga-list] Beginner's problems!

I'm using Ekiga 2.0.3-0ubuntu8 on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) and I'm hoping you can answer the following (NB non-technical beginner's language would be much appreciated!):
- I downloaded Ekiga simply via the “Add applications” facility. I'm perplexed why Ubuntu doesn't appear in the “Choose your distribution” list (along with Fedora, Opensuse, Sources & even Windows) on your Home Page. Can you please confirm that Ubuntu is still suitable for Ekiga softphone and that the above version I have loaded is in fact the latest.
- On the download page you stipulate
You need to download and install the OPAL and PWLIB libraries before Ekiga”. Does this also apply to Ubuntu (even though Ubuntu isn't listed on that page and these libraries don't appear to be available via my Synaptic Package Manager)?
In the latter, the nearest I can find are:

Opalmod package” (latest version 0.1.14), a set of Perl modules for Exception handle emulation; Simplified file and command read functions & Simplified debugging support.
“Pxlib-1” (Library to read and write Paradox DB files)

Am I right in saying that these are irrelevant?

- When I was setting up Ekiga and I did the echo test, I could hear the automated voice perfectly but my voice sent back after a 4 second delay sounded far too distant (as if I were on the moon!). On trying to call the echo test again (by calling sip:500 ekiga net), nothing happens and I see the message “Security Check failed”. Is that normal ie can you only listen to the echo test on setting up Ekiga?

- I tried calling friends' Hotmail addresses when they were logged into Windows Messenger Live; Ekiga would ring the dial tone twice but then cut off (with a message “could not connect to the remote server). Can you confirm that there should be NO problem in speaking (& text chatting simultaneously) between my Ekiga (using Feisty Fawn) & their Windows Messenger (as stated in your product descriptions)? In the SIP to call box, I simply inserted the standard Hotmail address - are Hotmail email addresses registered with Windows Messenger Live automatically SIP addresses?!

- I also tried several Ekiga “SIP” addresses (from your “white pages” where subscribers invited test calls, including dsandras ekiga net ); Ekiga rang the dial tone for much longer but my call was either “rejected” or the “caller was unreachable”. As I personally don't know anybody with an Ekiga address, do you happen to have any suggestions of any Ekiga subscribers I could call?
Mine is sip:iangrace ekiga net

- Is my computer suitable for use with Ekiga (audio and video)? It has an
AMD Duron 600Mhz, 416Mb Ram, (40Gb HDD) and am I correct in thinking that ESS Technology ES1969 (Solo 1) AUDIODRIVE (as listed in my “device manager”) is my Sound card? ( The graphics card is Voodoo3 AGP)

Ref the sound card, I'm also confused, as my “Input & Output” devices (in the “Preferences section”) are listed as ESS ES1938 (Solo-1). The model numbers apparently don't match, so do I have to reconfigure something?

Thanks very much

Ian