[Ekiga-list] pkg-config problem

I'm trying to install the source version of ekiga on an RedHat 8.0 server. When I run the command

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc && make && make install

an error associated with pkg-config comes up.

checking for GDU_MODULE_VERSION_CHECK.......

The recommended fix is to adjust PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variables

GDU_MODULE_VERSION_CFLAGS and GDU_MODULE_VERSION_CHECK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config

I looked at the pkg-config man page but don't understand how to set the variables. Can you help me with the fix so that I can get ekiga installed and running. Spent days trying to resolve this.

Also once ekiga is installed how do I launch the application?